2014-12-04

Waiting and Watching


New York is a city of intersections: streets intersect avenues, social castes intersect, and all the while there are people, people waiting and watching. Even though New York is a city that seems in perpetual motion, if you watch and wait, you’ll catch those people waiting and watching.
This was one of my first photographs I made during my stay in New York. I heard the rat-tat-tat of high heels and turned around and saw a woman in white dashing down the stairs to catch the subway while the hipster watched the scene around him.

Uptown & The Bronx
My second day in New York alternated between a light mist and pelting rain. I was wet and grumpy but my heavens the reflections and the light made up for wet socks and fogged over glasses. Pausing at an intersection on 6th Avenue, I saw this collection of Wet Mushrooms and a bit further on one of New York’s finest stoically enduring the rain.

Wet Mushrooms
NYPD
In Soho there is a cafĂ© called Fanelli’s. They say it’s one of the oldest in New York dating back to 1847. I had a good lunch there. Afterwards I stood at the intersection of Mercer and Prince and watched the watcher watching the watchers.

Watching the Watchers
Bus stops are interesting places. People wait, people watch. Like the future, the bus will come.

5th Ave/W 23rd Street

2 comments:

  1. Nice series John; look like a good trip.
    Ronkerr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing us more of your New York experience. All great photos. My favourite is Watching The Watchers.

    ReplyDelete